- Craving the validation. Which is foolish, yes, because for every one person who likes my writing, there will be at least one other who doesn't care for it.
- Earn money. I'll admit to wanting that.
- Wanting to entertain people. It kinda surprises me to say this.
- Craving the validation. Yeah, twice.
- Little or no promotion for the book results in it vanishing into the horde of other published titles.
- Screw-ups in the production process result in a book that misrepresents me and/or angers the readers.
- Production/promotion/reception of my book gets sabotaged by forces beyond my control, making it DOA.
I could go over to Kickstarter.com and commit to handing out all kinds of goodies if people were willing to help. Put together an estimate of editing and production costs, make a trailer video... it's a thought. I've done stupider things.
How has all the talk about self-publishing influenced you?